Location: Owo, Ondo
Contract Term: Contract underneath French legislation, 6 months renewable topic to funds funding
Starting Position: ASAP
ALIMA in Nigeria
- The humanitarian disaster in Nigeria’s northeast and the Lake Chad area is without doubt one of the most extreme ongoing crises on the earth, now getting into its ninth 12 months and displaying no signal of abating.
- In 2021, at the least 8.7 million individuals in want of pressing humanitarian help within the worst-affected states of Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe. Up to five.1 million individuals danger being critically meals insecure throughout the subsequent lean season (June – August 2021), a stage just like 2016-2017 when famine was looming over Borno State.
- Nigeria is now going through a second wave of COVID-19 infections. Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe states have recorded new circumstances. Aid actors are intensifying actions and prevention measures
- Despite challenges together with humanitarian area discount, support staff had already offered round 5 million individuals with life-saving help in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe states in 2020.
- Conflict, explosive remnants of conflict, and insecurity have reduce individuals off from their fundamental technique of livelihoods-farming and fishing. This causes main meals insecurity in northeast Nigeria, which COVID-19’s results on incomes have exacerbated: regardless of good crop yields, meals insecurity is rising.
- Findings of the October 2020 Cadre Harmonisé (CH) evaluation projected that about 5.1 million individuals within the three states shall be food-insecure within the lean season between June and August 2021 – a 19% and 34% improve in 2020 (after COVID-19 June CH Update) and 2019 figures respectively.
- According to the Nutrition and Food Security Surveillance Round 9, carried out in October 2020, the extent of acute malnutrition elevated in all three states in comparison with 2019. Global acute malnutrition (GAM) charges of 10.7% had been recorded in Borno, 7.5% in Adamawa, and 13.6% in Yobe.
- According to the survey, a number of LGAs had excessive pockets of worldwide acute malnutrition above the 15% threshold (emergency section), together with Gubio, Magumeri, Mobbar, and Bayo in Borno State and all LGAs in northern Yobe.
- Movement restrictions and insecurity proceed to hamper the flexibility of IDPs, returnees, and the host communities to entry fundamental providers, livelihoods, and land for farming and grazing. This signifies that extra individuals will depend on humanitarian support to outlive in 2021.
- In 2017, ALIMA continued to implement tasks in Muna Garage in Jere LGA, the place ALIMA performs normal consultations for youngsters underneath 5 and gives Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) to pregnant and lactating girls (antenatal and postnatal consultations).
- An Outpatient Therapeutic Feeding Program (OTP) can be obtainable for youngsters underneath 5 affected by extreme acute malnutrition (SAM) within the clinic, the place girls and caretakers are skilled to display screen their kids for malnutrition utilizing the MUAC tape.
- In Maiduguri MC, the place ALIMA is working in partnership with the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH), the Inpatient Therapeutic Feeding Center (ITFC) manages kids underneath 5 affected by SAM with medical problems in a 50-bed capability constructing.
- In December 2020, ALIMA carried out a wants evaluation survey within the north of Yobe the place a excessive stage of acute malnutrition was recorded by the diet sector.
- The outcomes of this survey prompted ALIMA to open a diet and well being venture protecting the Kasasuwa LGA, one of the vital affected LGAs, and the place there was a niche.
- This venture began in May 2021 and fund by ECHO goals to assist Karasuwa well being services and enhance entry to diet and well being providers together with pediatric healthcare and reproductive well being. ALIMA additionally helps COVID-19 vaccination in Borno and Yobe with a deal with probably the most weak.
- In parallel, ALIMA is opening an emergency diet venture in Katsina state and is current in Owo state since 2018 for Lassa fever response and analysis. In latest years, Nigeria was hit by a number of the worst Lassa fever (LF) outbreaks recorded to this point.
- Since 2018, ALIMA has been working with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, the State Ministry of Health, and the Federal Medical Hospital (FMC) of Owo to assist in the prognosis and administration of suspected and confirmed Lassa Fever circumstances.
- In addition to prevention and case administration, the venture can be concerned in analysis actions by way of the CORAL platform (ALIMA / Inserm 1219 Bordeaux) because it has developed an observational cohort research since 2018 (LASCOPE) to explain the scientific, organic course, administration and outcomes of hospitalized sufferers with a prognosis of confirmed Lassa fever. It has additionally initiated (in 2021) a therapeutic section II scientific trial (SAFARI) in partnership with BNITM, a German analysis institute.
- The intention of the scientific trial is to evaluate the security and efficacy of the antiviral drug towards the usual ribavirin therapy. It is a vital step towards a section III trial to establish an environment friendly drug towards Lassa fever sooner or later.
- Mission Coordinators: LogCo, HRCo, MedCo, FinCo
- Research Coordinator (ResCo).
Protection of Beneficiaries and Community Members:
- Level 3: As a part of his/her duties, the job holder will go to applications and are available into contact with kids and/or weak adults. Therefore, a felony file verify or a certificates of fine conduct shall be required. In conditions the place the impossibility of offering a felony file or a certificates of fine conduct is discovered, a declaration of honor shall be requested.
Mission and Main Activities
- Under the supervision of the Head of Mission and worldwide Research Coordinator, the Project Coordinator is liable for ALIMA’s operational and analysis interventions inside the framework of the venture.
- In shut collaboration with the workforce, he/she defines the venture’s priorities and goals and establishes a plan to realize them. In order to take action, he/she critiques knowledge on inhabitants well being and humanitarian wants, the context, the humanitarian points at stake, and the dangers and constraints related to the context, after which assesses human and monetary useful resource wants.
- In addition, he/she coordinates the implementation of the tasks, in shut collaboration with the medical coordinator, the worldwide analysis coordinator, and the Head of Mission, so as to make sure the efficient achievement of the goals and in addition to enhance the wants of the goal inhabitants in addition to the humanitarian state of affairs.
- Finally, he/she ensures compliance with procedures of ALIMA, the donor, National protocols, and the Research SOPs & protocols.
- He/she is the interface between the coordination & Research groups and the sphere workforce that he/she supervises and represents ALIMA with the native interlocutors.
- He/She will guarantee the graceful working and every day administration of the analysis tasks in all their elements: scientific illustration, administration of workers devoted to scientific analysis actions, management and high quality assurance of knowledge assortment, respect of protocols and procedures, supervision of inner monitoring and implementation of exterior knowledge monitoring, participation within the group and implementation of proximity coaching of scientific analysis workers.
- He/She is the guarantor of the safety of ALIMA’s operational and analysis actions within the discipline in addition to of the safety of the workforce on the bottom.
- He/She supervises and leads the sphere workforce and facilitates its participation within the venture dynamics.
Security Analysis and Management:
- He/she is liable for monitoring and producing an evaluation of the setting by which the operational and analysis actions are situated: native political context (in Ondo state and within the intervention websites; Owo LGA) and offering common updates on the safety context within the setting of intervention;
- He/she enforces the safety coverage set by the coordination workforce and formalizes it within the safety guideline distributed to the venture groups;
- He/she screens the evolution of the native state of affairs by encouraging the participation of the workforce he/she supervises on this activity;
- Evaluates the dangers and constraints, and proposes an tailored technique and motion plan in case of recent and unexpected parts after session with the nation coordination (HoM, MedCo, LogCo, FinCo, HRCo) the analysis workforce, different humanitarian, worldwide, and governmental actors current within the intervention web site.
Research Study Management:
- In collaboration with the worldwide analysis coordination workforce, coordinate and guarantee normal supervision of the scientific analysis assistants (CRA) of every analysis venture and the Clinical Research Team of the ICRC (web site coordinators, medical doctors, nurses and laboratory workforce), make sure that their work is completed in accordance with the protocol and procedures of the research;
- Ensure the standard and continuity of knowledge alternate between the Viral Haemorrhagic Fever Lab (VHF) and the ICRC (compliance with procedures, high quality of communication between the 2 departments);
- Participate within the working committee of the varied research;
- Report to the coordination workforce and analysis coordinator any issues or difficulties encountered within the discipline and talk about methods to resolve them;
- Ensure the replenishment of laboratory and medical gadgets associated to analysis research and the cost of suppliers;
- Supervise and assist reinforce confidentiality in direction of members within the completely different analysis tasks;
- Respect the working guidelines of the ICRC (hygiene, an infection prevention and management);
- Organise and facilitate the relations and the alternate of knowledge between the analysis coordination workforce, the sponsor of the research, and the Nigerian collaborators within the discipline;
- Ensure efficient collaboration with different departments of the hospital (emergency room, dialysis unit, paediatrics, gynaecology …) regarding the Lassa fever research in Owo.
- Participate within the Lassa fever response plan offered by the ALIMA medical workforce, underneath the supervision of the ALIMA medical coordinator and analysis coordinator.
Implementation, design and operational follow-up:
- Participate within the design, monetary, human and logistical dimensioning of tasks to be applied.
- Implement actions in accordance with the annual operational technique, ALIMA technical necessities and donor standards.
- Plan and supervise the implementation of the venture underneath his/her accountability, respecting the deadlines and the outlined technical specs.
- Plan the actions with the assist departments (Administration, Logistics) in line with the set goals.
- Use administration and monitoring instruments for actions, outcomes, and context.
- Evaluate the relevance of the actions carried out, the effectiveness of the interventions, and their adequacy with regard to the evolution of the context and the wants of the populations.
- Ensure high quality of care of venture actions.
- Anticipate difficulties associated to the conduct of actions and facilitate the decision of issues associated to them.
- In collaboration with the executive division, contribute to the elaboration of the budgets associated to his/her venture and comply with up on bills and funds forecasts.
Human Resource Management:
- Participate within the validation of the recruitment for the nationwide technical workers of the venture.
- Define, at the side of the executive division, the stipulations for the positions open to application, adapting the job profile of the job reference system if crucial.
- Welcoming and briefing new workers or volunteers working underneath his/her accountability.
- Set up coaching programs in step with operational necessities and recognized coaching wants
- Supervise and assist the workforce underneath his/her accountability.
- Facilitate workshops and common or advert hoc conferences.
- Evaluate and assess the efficiency of workforce members.
- Identify the potential for growth of the members of his/her workforce and cross on the knowledge to the HR coordinator of the mission.
Reporting / Communication / Representation:
- Report to the HoM any data on the safety context or any occasion with incidents that will have an effect on the actions and security of the groups.
- Write studies and annexes associated to his/her exercise(ies) for studies and/or endorsements for Donors.
- Ensure compliance with deadlines and codecs for the submission of studies.
- Maintain an operational native communication community and good relations with authorities/native authorities, donor representatives, UN companies, and different worldwide companies.
- Ensure ALIMA illustration at conferences or boards associated to the venture.
- Draft administrative paperwork to be signed (MOU, handover, and many others…) collectively with authorities authorities, communities, or companions.
Prevention of Exploitation and Abuse:
- Participates in coaching and consciousness classes on exploitations and abuse.
- Implements requirements associated to exploitation and abuse prevention.
- Ensures that workforce members attend coaching and consciousness classes.
- Contributes to creating and sustaining a nurturing and protecting setting.
Experience and Skills
- Medical Doctor, or Nurse.
- Master’s Degree in public well being is a plus;
- Additional coaching in scientific analysis and/or Public well being could be an asset.
- Experience in venture administration (at the least 2 years) is required.
- Management expertise in a analysis venture within the discipline OR a Master’s in Epidemiology is required
- Experience in a hospital medical service.
- Experience in epidemic response and/or viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF) is an asset.
Qualities of the Candidate:
- Rigour and organisation
- Adaptability and initiative
- Good communication and negotiation expertise
- Developed interpersonal expertise and diplomacy
- Team administration.
- English is important, and the native language is an asset (Hausa, Kanuri…). Speaking French is an asset.
ALIMA pays for:
- Costs between the expatriate’s nation of origin and the mission location
- Accommodation prices
- Medical cowl from the primary day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission nation for the worker
- Evacuation of the worker.
Depending on expertise + per diem.